Monday, November 22, 2010

Chemo in the rainforest

The chemo cycle continues.  Trying to live life deliberately and "normally" in the context of the abrupt leaving the practice, selling the house,  moving far from 2 of my kids, changing from doctor to patient role, ... it's been kinda weird.

But so much support from other people!!  visiting and emailingt and facebooking and praying... THANK YOU!

So to add some normalcy, I made the traditional cookies for the kids and my brother and mailed them off.  Strange even having to make friends with a new oven - cookies can be persnickety.  

Anyway, after my daughter A visited and sampled them, I felt like Martha Stewart, but without a rap sheet.  

Cognitive issues remain frustrating, but my doc here is interested in a research proposal I wrote up. To get neurocognitive measures throughout the chemo cycles, then see what the effects of interventions such as continuing oral calcium.  An IV bolus is given just before the oxalliplatin to minimize peripheral neuropathy, but there does not seem to be anything in the literature about the cognitive effects of the chemotherapeutic agents for gastrointestinal cancers.

Anyway, I am doing a computer based test battery on myself every few days, and also doing a new york times  sunday puzzle each morining - limit 45 minutes, no using the internet, oh, and a daily sudoku - timed.  All I need is to add Tetris to get a measure of visuospacial effects.

9 comments:

  1. I have no doubt your brain will find the pathways it needs, as evidenced by your research proposal and the cognitive challenges you are posing to your doctor and yourself. Cookies... Yum... Any snow yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The New York Times crossword? I'm currently reading a biography about the Kennedy's, so you've got me beat there. Of course you're going at this with a scientist's mind and a mother's heart, a formidable foe, to say the least. I'm glad you're finding (and enjoying!) so much of yourself in this quagmire and the blog is a grand idea. How in the world does Bruce keep up with you?
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are freaking amazing! Writing up a research proposal, keeping data on the cognitive measures, and keeping the sense of humor! You go, girl! You're a role model for how to do this crazy little thing called LIFE. Keep it up! Love, Marlo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so interested in your idea of monitoring the cognitive effects, long and short term, of chemotherapy. You will take an individually unpleasant experience and produce something of value to others. Terrific.

    Harriet

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING ATTITUDE! We are so proud of you.Only you would try to see a stressful situation as a potential learning situation that might be of value to others. You never stop giving and you never give up...what more could any one do!

    Love you so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the NYT Sunday puzzle? Even on my best days I can barely get a Monday puzzle done. My dad seems to have a similar talent for crossword puzzles. Perhaps the gene just skipped a generation? :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you spell Sudoku??? You are truly an amazing human being. Your reflexive nature to turn a challenging situation into an opportunity to dive deep into the rabbit hole from numerous angles.......truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm stumped at the baking cookies, much less the NYT puzzle, and the research project. Sudoku is my thing, so my self esteem isn't completely squashed by the lady with the chemo going who can do it all at the same time!! You really are a marvel. Did you get snow in that blast of northwest winter recently?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gus
    So great to stay in touch!
    I'm so proud of you Gus! How did the cookies you made turn out?
    My poor kids had to politely pretend they loved the turkey I made
    for Thanksgiving ...it tasted terrible cause I tried this new
    method (in a bag)....after all my years of living in the US, I'm still not
    friends w the turkey...
    It was 80 today in AZ...I miss winter!
    Miss you!!!!
    Astrid

    ReplyDelete