Tuesday, November 2, 2010

too beautiful today to whine

I should continue the history of how I got here, but it is just too hauntingly beautiful today -  cool -  60-70 degrees (that's Fahrenheit, Lisa), foggy, the colors of the leaves are like somebody over brightened  the technicolor...    perfect!   Toto, we're not in Chandler any more...

Today's medical status - day 11 of the 14 day chemo cycle. 

OK, so the treatment plan is this.  3 or 4  14-day cycles of 3 days infusion, followed by 11 days of allowing the chemo to do its thing.  Then if the liver lesion shrinks, i get surgery to remove it totally, then 3-4 more cycles...

Chemo, at least for me currently, is really not as bad as it used to be.  In the olden days, you know, like the 1980's, when I was a med student and resident, it was hellish.  Days of painful iv infiltrations and destroyed veins,  nausea, becoming a human barf-atron, horrible gut pain, profound fatigue.   Thanks to Emend (great name, you know, like emesis-end)  and ativan and Oxycodone and dexamethsone, etc, and the invention of an implanted port in my chest wall that leads to my superior vena cava - none of these problems.  And I have been exercising daily.  Doc told me to.

The main thing I have experienced are some mood issues from the dexamethasone those first days.  luckily I never have had mood problems before.   Oh, and ...what is it.... uh...cognitive issues.    Word finding difficulty, unable to stay on a task to save my, oh look out the window!   no longer the paragon of multitasking.

Changed colors of the blog page - the black was meant to be sophisticated, but it looked too depressing, too "she looks so life-like" kinda thing.   

The main feeling I have is one of grace, of feeling very loved and protected.  By God, by family, by friends.  It is so so nice.

7 comments:

  1. I would claim to be jealous of your weather but it's beautiful here today too, I would love to see pics of the leaves. I'm so happy you are taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sense of humor. Do your best to maintain it, I found it to be my most effective coping mechanism and it helps the people around you cope with their pain as well. I also find it fascinating that you have the medical knowledge that makes it possible for you to compare today's forms of treatment with the treatments of "yesteryear." (although I'm not sure I'm entirely ready to hear the '80's described as the olden days just yet - ha ha ha) And for now, screw multi-tasking! Just enjoy the leaves and the weather and your bicycle and your husband and anything else that catches your eye - oh look, there's a bunny! There is much love coming your way from the Valley of the Sun. We miss you here and wish you the best where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gussie, your wonderful wit will definitely dampen the impact of the chemo as Marlo has noted. As long as I have known you, humor has been an ever present coping "intuition" for you! Why do I keep hearing a "drum roll please"!!! The weather there sounds absolutely lovely and must remind you of some day's while at Yale. I have to admit that I am a bit jealous, just a bit, of the views of Fall Colors and the brisk chill in the air (well into the day vs only btw 5:30 am -9 am here). Glad to see that you are riding your bicycle (sad the "W" won't be monitored by you anymore)and receiving the joys of the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very glad that chemo isn't as bad as it used to be. I had to face all my technology fears to follow this blog--and get a new email address to boot! So I will avidly follow your progress and enjoy your witty descriptions of your medical experiences and challenges. Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Word finding issues, where did they go?

    I am so glad the leaves are so beautiful - the crimson ones are my fav! Have you pressed any with waxed paper and your iron yet?

    Doc you are the best, I just had a visual of you (Robin WIlliams) as Patch Adams with a red nose! Do you need one?

    So when you get the chemo do you have to go to the hospital to sit for the infusion or is it portable at home? How long of a hook up is it? I want you to know that I really want to be "virtually" there with you the next time you hook up, if that is OK with you. I would really like you to know that I am there with you!!!
    I am sooooooo, soooooo glad you are out riding your bike and moving your body. This will work -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that the weather is nice and that you're getting some good exercise. We're still in the 80s and 90s here, so it doesn't really feel autumnal at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nOTHING LIKE FALL WEATHER TO GIVE A PERSON A MUCH NEEDED BOOST. As you know, most of the time I do not enjoy living in the Midwest but I do love it in the fall.

    Glad you take walks and bike.

    ReplyDelete